And that was summer?

When I was little, I remember hearing a rhyme about this time of year:
"Ne'er cast a clout till may is out." Roughly translated, this means, "It is ill advised to remove any of your winter clothing until the may blossom is visible on the hawthorne trees." I noticed the profusion of may blossom on the trees at the bottom of the field this morning when we were out on our walk and that reminded me of the rhyme, (usually quoted at me in my youth when I wanted to go out to play without a coat.)
Given the chilly weather and rain which have returned to haunt us today, it seems that there will be no clouts cast just yet or for the foreseeable future, i.e. next week. And it's no good any of you gardeners saying that we need it; I definitely don't! I like the sun, so there!
Still it was nice to see the horses back in the ajoining field and even Paddy steers clear of them, probably recognising that, given their size, it wouldn't be a good idea to invite them to play! 

2 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Horses? I could have sworn that you'd have cars in Wales by now. And as a gardener myself I have been praying for rain as the earth is like Death Valley just now.

Jennytc said...

Our earth is just about recovering from the relentless, interminable rain inflicted on it during last summer and autumn, followed by the many feet of snow in the winter, YP. (Exaggerate? Moi?)

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...