"Well, there is only one piece of advice I can give you," said the wisest of wise men. "The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon."



('The Alchemist' Paulo Coelho)




Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bitton Railway






Today we went down the road to Bitton Railway which is a preservation society and very interesting if you are keen on steam engines, as Dad is.


I persuaded him that a trip in the train was a good plan for the day, so off we went, up to Oldland Common station and then back down to Avon Riverside station.
We could have interrupted our journey with a 40 minute boat trip on the Avon but instead, Dad talked himself into a second train journey, this time on the footplate!

4 comments:

  1. Jenny, what a lovely daughter you are, arranging treats for your dad. (And no, this isn't part of my 'be nice to Jenny' campaign mentioned in the previous post - I really do mean it.)

    How happy he looks on your picture - you can't buy memories like this. You know how I feel about the importance of family, and so you know my comments are heart-felt.

    Right then, I'm being far too sentimental and emotional for my gender (apparently!) so I shall leave you in peace !

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely comment, Craig. I know you are being quite serious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad is just the same. A steam nut. We took him on the Ashby Canal a couple of years back and there just happened to be a steam railway nearby. Like kids aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad worked at Crewe railway works in his youth. I think once they are bitten by the bug it's a lifelong condition, Krip!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails