"Well, there is only one piece of advice I can give you," said the wisest of wise men. "The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon."



('The Alchemist' Paulo Coelho)




Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Free agent!

Well, they say all good things come to an end. Day zero has dawned. Good-byes have been said (or not, in certain cases outside my control!), the children have waved farewell to schooldays until September, mums have stocked up on paracetamol/tranquillizers for the duration and I have trekked across the Runcorn Bridge for the last time.
The surprise party Remember?
was a great success, thoroughly enjoyed by all and, I'm afraid, paid for by many this morning! In spite of not hitting the sack until 1.30a.m. I woke at 5.55a.m. ready to leap out of bed but remembered just in time that I am now a free agent.
The weather is beautiful, the sun is shining, I have no marking or preparation to do. Welcome to the first day of the rest of my life :)
Demob happy teacher? Ecstatic ex-teacher is more like it!

3 comments:

alfie said...

What you going to do now then?

alfie said...

Sorry, me again - I've just read your 'Last Week' posting. And there it all is - summed up perfectly on the state of Education today.

It's a bloody excellent piece. Sorry about your disillusionment, but I can fully understand it - it's those people in ivory towers again.

Sarah Millard said...

Lovely! Kick your heels off, lie back, feel the sun on your face, you deserve it! I wouldn't educate professionally for a very large sum of money these days! My stepmother retired last week too, from the P.E. dept. of my old school and it is sad to hear her recount how many of my former teachers have become ill or worse, died, whilst still working. There's more to life! Enjoy!

xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails