Charles Taylor 1923 - 2016

I thought I would copy Elder Daughter's tribute to Dad which she posted on Facebook. She has said it so much better than I could. 


Today saw the end of the long and extraordinary life of a remarkable man.
He had a passion for Kipling, knickerbocker glories, steam trains and lamenting the passing of the British Empire. He was hilariously and unrepentantly un-PC. He would delight in telling us what he would do to Tony Blair if he ever got his hands on him. He wrote a book. He painted and drew. He met the queen. He taught himself to use a computer and spent much of his 80s emailing friends all over the world that he had met online, until his eyesight failed. In his younger years he built steam engines and lectured on engineering in universities up and down the UK despite mostly being a self educated man. He loved his family dearly, and we loved him. He was described by all who knew him as a true gentleman.
He was a man that I was proud to call my friend, my mentor and my co-conspirator. He encouraged me, inspired me, took an interest in my life and work, and taught me so much.
He was my grandad.
I am posting this to celebrate a wonderful human being and to tell the world how proud I am to have known him. He died peacefully at home, his way, surrounded by his family. Rest in peace grandad, and thank you for all that you have given us xxx

3 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Your elder daughter's heartfelt tribute brought tears to my eyes. Of course I never met Charles but he was clearly a very special man - his own man. And you Jenny...you did the right thing, persuading him to move to Wrexham for the last months of his life. And after the funeral you can rest, content in the knowledge that you did right by your father. You were there for him when he needed you most. Farewell Charles.

Jennytc said...

Thank you YP. As when Mum died at home, we are so pleased that we have been able to do the same again as a family. That was what they both wanted, to die in peace at home, when the time came, and thanks to excellent care from the relevant services, we were able to do that.

ZACL said...

It is a fabulous tribute. I only got to know about your dad a little bit in recent postings. I was fascinated by the recordings of his memories. What wonderful foresight for this great teacher to make them for future generations to benefit from
xx.

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...