Cycling

As walking isn't too comfortable at the moment, thanks to the creaky ankle, I thought cycling might be better. After all, Keith has a chronically bad ankle but is able to cycle quite easily. So this morning, early (so that no-one would be around to see any possible falling off), we set off down a local cycle path which I recently discovered. 
I am not a newcomer to cycling, although I didn't learn till I was about 16. I did, at one time, cycle to work on a fairly regular basis, along quiet, flat roads, I hasten to add and if it was windy, I chickened out and took the car, but that was about 20 years ago and since then, I have done very little on two wheels. The bike I had then was a very simple, three gear one - yes, it's that long ago, but not quite as long ago as the penny farthing; I would never have coped with that! The bike that Keith bought me a few years ago has lots of gears, which, let's face it, is a bit confusing, but I have slowly begun to realise that trying to go up a hill in 3rd or 4th gear is counter-productive, as I am not exactly Tour de France material.
What I really want is a bike which selects the best gear for me automatically. We have automatic cars, why not automatic bikes? Any enterprising inventors out there?


11 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The invention you are seeking is already in production! It's called a moped!

mrsnesbitt said...

lol @ Yorkshire Pudding! If you lived nearer I am sure hubby would fix you up with something!

Shooting Parrots said...

I used to cycle everywhere when I was younger, but never could get the hang of those Derailleur gears.It always looks odd when cyclists creep sedately up hill with their legs pounding like billo.

Jennytc said...

A moped, YP? Where's the calorie burning in that? ;)
Thanks for the offer anyway, mrsnesbitt. :)
SP, you're right, and I look silly enough as it is without that. ;)

Anonymous said...

I miss cycling, which I've not done in years!
Lots of gears for a 'runabout' bike are a bit of a waste of time aren't they. Flighty xx

Jennytc said...

I think so, Flighty. :)

Rosie said...

I was a keen cyclist when I was young and would cycle to school or go off for miles with friends in the summer. Then work and children came along and I then stopped. Some years later hubby and sons took it up as a hobby so I bought a bike as well. Somehow I just couldn't get used to it having gears. The bike stayed in the shed gathering dust until I gave it away.

Jennytc said...

For me, it's like swimming, Rosie, something I enjoy but am not very good at. ;)

Jan said...

Just found youe blog and shall visit again!

Jennytc said...

Thanks for visiting, Jan.

Blogger said...

Did you know you can create short links with AdFocus and get cash from every click on your short urls.

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...