New Horizons

After a week in which we had two parents' evenings to add to an already busy schedule, which now includes regular practices for the Christmas play (I know - the C word should not be uttered before November is finished), I am confirmed in my decision that my retirement from teaching will be at the end of this term rather than struggling on with supply work until the summer. The difference in pension and lump sum for the extra two terms is negligible and more than compensates for being able to have my life back again and start doing what I want to do.
This evening I have just finished designing my leaflet for potential clients for my counselling practice and I have also been approached with a view to teaching part of the basic counselling course and the Gestalt certificate from next September, so with luck, I shall be able to keep the wolf from the door.
I suppose you have reach what the French politely refer to as 'a certain age' to appreciate more fully the desire to make the most of the time and opportunities still available. There are so many things I would still like to do and I don't suppose I'll manage more than a fraction of them, but I'm going to do my best - and being stuck in classrooms is not one of them!
PS
My counselling website, still in embryo state, is now live.


6 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Still teaching at your age should attract a medal! Go for it babe! You have had the foresight to get that counselling qualification. Your wisdom will spread by word of mouth and gradually you will acquire a string of regulars. With the shit I am getting at work I don't think I will be long behind you though I will be forced back into the classroom to do supply or temporary work - again to keep the wolf at bay.

Jennytc said...

The good thing about daily or weekly supply is that you don't have to deal with all the cartloads of paperwork, target setting, buck-stopping etc. However well paid one's job is, in the long term, it's not worth jeopardising health for. Teachers do not have a good record for enjoying a long retirement!

Anonymous said...

Jenny, fantastic news on the counselling front (love the website - but pray tell me who the fit bird is on the front page......!!!) and also on the counselling teaching front - you will be amazing and will be an absolute ambassador to the profession :O)

Rosie said...

I am finding weird that at our school Christmas Play rehearsals are in full swing. It seems so early this year.
Best wishes with your plans for retirement from teaching(lucky you) and good luck with the counselling. Go for it!.

Silverback said...

There is a spare bed here in Florida - come on over.

Ian

Jennytc said...

Craig! A nice comment! I feel faint!!! ;)
Rosie, you know what they say - times goes faster as you get older. ;)
Ian - thanks for the invite - I'm on my way. :)

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...