Eurovision

It's that time of year again - the Eurovision Song Contest. It's so long since I last sat through it that I hadn't realised that people can now send in their own votes. No more 'nul points' for Finland, then? For some incomprehensible reason, Keith flicked the remote to BBC1 just as it was starting and stayed with it....................no Scrapheap Challenge tonight I guess.

My only reaction is one of a mixture of admiration and disbelief that Terry Wogan has managed to sit through so many evenings of this over the past however many years. Ye gods, the man deserves a medal at the very least - a chest full of them even. The only bright spots in an evening otherwise distinguished only by its catatonic-inducing state are his wonderfully dry comments thrown in at appropriate moments:

"This one raises suspenders to new heights." (Turkey, I think.)

Sheer genius!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the Eurovision! I can't wait to see it, it's on tonight here :o)

Ellee Seymour said...

I think it was Armenia with the suspenders, though I wonder whether Turkey's entry was a bid to fool the EU that they have embraced modern womanhood.

It was a highly entertaining evening.

Bill said...

Turns out Finland's entry was far from being as superficial as it appeared on the surface.

Did you pick up on the hidden message within the lyrics? And the subtle use of morse code cunningly concealed inside seemingly cheap and trashy drum beats? When you put it all together it clearly points to the location of a hidden crypt in Westminster Abbey housing the remains of King Canute's love child with Boudica. A child that it turns out is a direct ancestor of none other than David Cameron!

This provides a completely new perspective on English history for the past 1000 years. Thank you Lordi!

Jennytc said...

Hmm, must have missed that, Bill. Not listening attentively enough , I guess!

Laura said...

Terry makes the show. Glad to see I wasn't the only one that picked up the Greek/American's co-host amazing rendition of the word amazing as a constant adjective.

It's like here in the UK always hearing "lovely" for every single thing around.

Amazing!

Ellee Seymour said...

Hi Jennyta, as a counsellor I thought you might have been blogging about David Cameron's speech to make us think about happiness rather than financial fulfilment. We do get too carried away with work and pressures to focus on the important things in life.

Wallo said...

I'm sure that the money he gets lessens mr Wogan's devastation at lack of medals ;)

Eurovision is contrived. I can't stand it!

xx

Jennytc said...

You may well think so, Ellee, but money is never important unless you haven't got enough of it!

Wallo, I agree, it is very contrived.

The Leadership Blogger said...

I think the TOGmeister has rather a BIG gong already!

Could you please turn off the Corrs now? "I'm losing the will to try"

Jennytc said...

What would you like me to play instead, George?

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...