"Well, there is only one piece of advice I can give you," said the wisest of wise men. "The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon."



('The Alchemist' Paulo Coelho)




Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Read a book and pass it on

If you click on the little yellow book in the sidebar,you will discover, as I just did, this excellent site called Bookcrossing. It exists to promote a novel way of encouraging people to read books. (Novel - books - get it? Oh well, please yourself!) The idea is that you join up and recommend a book you have read on the site and then leave it in a public place for someone else to pick up and read, in the hope that they too will pass it on in their turn. Seems like a good idea so I joined this morning. I only have one problem. Since I discovered the joys of writing and reading blogs, I have done appallingly little reading, so it looks as if I shall have to cut down on the blog-browsing and read more so that I will actually have a book to recommend!

2 comments:

  1. No, Jenny! Don't waste your time reading books! What good will that do? It will only keep you away from writing. And I do so enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go jenny go! I too am a very bookish person, and what a nice idea! I find myself closing up the 'puter after gawd knows how many pages and words read (I read at least 5 tumes as much as i type, and i type a lot!) and taking a book to bed to relax after a hard day's reading, lol. Oh, and the 'mature memory'? I prefer to think of it as having so darned much valuable information stored in my brain that there's just not much room left for more....lol "Teacher? May I be excused? I think my brain is full..."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails