Friends across the Pond

No, I'm not talking about friends in the USA, but in Canada, near Toronto, to be precise. Dale started his blog (now defunct) at about the same time as I started mine, 2004. It was called 'Musings from Mimico' and was full of beautifully written, reflective, often humorous posts, which I enjoyed reading and commenting on. He joined the list of 'Blogs I like to visit' on my sidebar and I joined his.
Fast forward to this summer and Dale and I were finally able to meet face to face, as he, his wife Colleen and daughter Ivy, made a trip over here, to spend a week in Wales, a week in the Lake District and a week in Scotland, where Colleen's family originated.

It's quite intriguing, meeting someone with whom you have been on 'writing terms' for so long. You have read and commented on things they have written about their lives, interests, travels, work and sometimes, problems, and they have done the same, so you have built up a friendship already and you feel as if you know that person pretty well. 

So, the time we spent together was filled with talk, laughter, catching up, asking questions and even, Dale got to have a tour round Keith's famous shed workshop! 

Even so, there were still so many things we didn't get round to talking about. Twelve years to catch up on is a lot of catching up! Maybe next time ...
When Colleen takes photos, she means business - with a tripod and remote control. 
 And here we all are!
(How did it happen that the men are sitting and we are standing?)

Paddy and Toby loved their Canadian neckerchiefs.
However, Toby did hear Colleen say that he was welcome to visit 'any time'. He is still waiting on the doorstep with his red spotted handkerchief on a stick over his shoulder ...

Maybe I'd better tell him to come back inside.

6 comments:

CNP said...

What a lovely post. It was so fantastic meeting all of you. And yes. Toby is welcome anytime. �� I sure hope that our paths will cross again. Thank you for your hospitality.

CNP said...

What a lovely post. It was so fantastic meeting all of you. And yes. Toby is welcome anytime. �� I sure hope that our paths will cross again. Thank you for your hospitality.

Dale said...

Oh good! I can comment now.
Hi Jenny! Colleen's right. It was great to finally meet you after all those years. Thanks for everything. Toby and Keith were both well-behaved, the latter delightful. I hope to return some day. Let me know when you've run out of syrup. ;)

Jennytc said...

Thanks for your comments, both of you. I have to confess that I now have a definite liking for maple syrup, particularly on plain yoghourt! :)

Yorkshire Pudding said...

How lovely to meet Dale, Colleen and Ivy. Are they also a Muslim family? I guess this explains why the men were seated in the picture. I hope they all enjoyed their trip to Britain. Is there a mosque in Wrexham then?

Jennytc said...

No, YP, it's just that we wimmin are so thoughtful and considerate!

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...