The 'study'

Now that life is a bit calmer again, I have begun to go through some of Dad's folders of articles, notes etc that are presently stacked up in what I laughingly call the study. I say laughingly because 'cupboard' would be a more accurate description. The room itself is undeniably tiny and to make matters worse, is crammed with two bookcases, a filing cabinet, desk and swivel chair, clothes airer and Keith's fat machine. Yes, you read that correctly. This is a large machine which he bought online in one of his crazier moments, in the (vain) hope that using it would break down excess fat. It doesn't and he hasn't even looked at it for about three years. But every time I suggest getting rid of it to some other idiot interested person, he demurs. Persuading him to dispose of anything - clothes, shoes, holey socks - is like pulling teeth, so if I think I can get away with it, I do occasionally sneak things out when he's not looking. Generally, this works quite well, but this time, I need to be more upfront.
'If we could get rid of the fat machine,' I say, 'I could move the filing cabinet into that corner and be able to get to the built in cupboard without having to move the clothes airer and the swivel chair.'
Sadly, he still remains to be convinced and as it's too big and heavy for me to sneak it out when he's not looking,  this is still a work in progress.

'Slow and steady wins the race' ...

10 comments:

Peace Thyme said...

What IS that fat machine? How would it have worked if ever it was used? When my mother died, I became the family historian and in the ensuing years have been able to whittle all the papers and letters and pictures down to a manageable two boxes instead of six. But it is so hard to throw any of that stuff away, you know?

Dale said...

Take it apart, bit by tiny bit, and remove it that way. Maybe he wouldn't notice if it disappeared slowly.

Graham Edwards said...

De-cluttering is good for the soul. In fact getting rid of the fat machine would probably get rid of a tiny bit of fat in the effort of lifting it. That would be one tiny bit more than if it sits there doing nothing!

Jennytc said...

I think you massage the area and it is supposed to break down the fat. However, I have discovered that other countries (France and Australia, for example) don't recommend their use and I am a bit concerned as to where the fat then goes (the blood stream?). From the size of it, I would imagine that it is meant for a salon.

Jennytc said...

It's a possibility, Dale. :)

Jennytc said...

Good thinking on both counts, Graham. :)

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Maybe you could suggest selling the thing on e-bay or "Gumtree" then use the money to take Keith out for a Toby Carvery meal - extra large plate of course.

Jennytc said...

Great idea, YP. :)

Jennytc said...

Great idea, YP. :)

Untitled said...

I enjoyyed reading this

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...