Charles ? Perkins

Those of you who hang on my every word (OK, so no-one then) may recall my fruitless search for the birth certificate of my great grandfather, always known to me and to Dad as Charles Ernest Perkins and of his parents. Well, having discovered someone who is currently researching another member of the family, I have now been informed that, on his birth certificate, he is registered as Charles Frederick, which would explain why I couldn't find it! All the other details are exactly right, so it is definitely the same person.
To add to the confusion, however, his death certificate has him as Charles Ernest and, as his death was registered by his daughter, my grandmother, she too must have known him as Charles Ernest. On his marriage certificate, he is simply Charles. So it seems that he came into the world as Charles Frederick and departed as Charles Ernest.
As for his parents, by dint of many hours of dedicated research, I have discovered that Charles' father, John, may well have been married twice, having three children by his first wife and five, including Charles, by his second. Work continues on that. I have my nose to the ground and my magnifying glass to my eye...

4 comments:

Shooting Parrots said...

A amn of mystery! Was he the Charles Frederick Perkins born in Exeter in 1850? If so he had a third Christian name. It looks like Steele to me.

Jennytc said...

No, SP. He was born in Paddington on 15th December 1848.

Shooting Parrots said...

Oh. He doesn't seem to be FreeBMD.

Jennytc said...

I know. Weird isn't it? But I have his baptism record as Charles Frederick - right parents and address.

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...