But yesterday, I fell to thinking about the events in my life over the last ten years and I was quite surprised at all that has happened. Since New Year 2000 was rung in:
- I have become a grandmother three times over, although I only have access to one of my grandchildren for reasons that I still don't understand.
- My mother died, after a long time in poor health but I am glad that, as a family, we were able to keep her at home until the end.
- My two daughters graduated and began their careers, one as a doctor and one as a teacher.
- My marriage ended and I set up home on my own, which was strange after so many years.
- I continued to become more disillusioned with the world of teaching, stepping down from my position as deputy head of a primary school and eventually leaving full time teaching for a few years of supply teaching.
- I retired from teaching, having stuck it out until a few months before my official retirement age.
- I became interested in counselling and embarked on four years of training before qualifying as an integrative humanistic counsellor.
- I met Keith and moved to North Wales, where we set up home together. That was the high point.
- I lost my elder son when he took his life last year - most definitely the lowest point.
It's probably just as well that we can't see into the future though!