Shopping again

Today I did some shopping - clothes for Keith, so nothing exciting then. I waited in the inevitable queue to pay.
"Would you like these things in a bag?" the assistant enquired.
"Yes, please," I answered. Well, the pile of things I had bought certainly weren't going to fit in my handbag.
"They're a penny," was the swift reply. "Is that all-right?"
Well, it had to be, didn't it, I thought as I nodded. As she set off on a trawl round the shop for a suitably sized bag, I became aware of the lady next to me who was buying three boxes of chocolate liqueurs.
"I'm sorry," said the young boy who was serving her, "I will have to find someone to authorise this sale. I'm under eighteen so I can't sell these to you."
And off he went on a journey round the shop to find an assistant of suitably mature years.
When I got home, I was relating the tale to Keith.
"Can you believe it?" I said, "Chocolate liqueurs, for heaven's sake! How many hundredweight of those do you think you would have to eat to get drunk?"
"I don't know," he said thoughtfully, "but I'd be willing to find out........... in the interests of science, of course," he added hastily, seeing my expression.

Oh, and on the way home, one of the neighbours was putting a tombstone out by the front door - as you do...



No comments:

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...