"Well, there is only one piece of advice I can give you," said the wisest of wise men. "The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon."



('The Alchemist' Paulo Coelho)




Monday, January 14, 2008

Monday!

Monday morning - dull, cloudy and...just for a change...raining! I foresee future generations of homo sapiens growing flippers and gills.
However, I am off to do some voluntary counselling for five hours today and, in spite of the weather, I am going to walk. It's all part of the new 'look after me' plan. Now that I am not devoting all those hours to teaching-related activities, I have time to exercise more, so I am planning to walk more, get the bike out when the weather gets better and start swimming again. (No, not on the bike, YP!) The last time I did that on anything like a regular basis was when my children were growing up.
At the back of my mind is the knowledge that teachers are often not candidates for a long retirement. I have known of too many fellow teachers who have retired, only to peg it some months or even weeks later.
Anyway, just in case I might have wondered, even momentarily, about the wisdom of retiring from teaching, a text message from my Teaching Assistant at last term's school, would have reassured me. "OFSTED coming Thursday."
The great escape starts here!



4 comments:

  1. As long as you build it up gradually, you shouldn't become another post retirement statistic.

    Well you WILL eventually of course !

    Just ease into triathlons. Start with strolls to the chippie, the pub etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chips and beer are not part of my healthy diet, Ian. (Oh all-right, wine is!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work, walking is excellent exercise and you will notice so much more around you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as I notice a decreasing waistline, Ellee, I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails