Calamity!


Yesterday was a bad day. The worst thing possible happened (well, in I.T. terms anyway). My laptop, after logging on and making a few plaintive peeping noises, froze and when I tried to fire it up again, a message appeared telling me that no operating system could be detected.
"Of course there's an operating system - just look will ya!!!" I yelled, but to no avail. The hard drive had breathed its last, given up the ghost and quietly slipped away.
In a panic, I rang Keith.
"Oh dear," he said, in the tones that meant he knew he was going to be in for some ear bashing, weeping and wailing for at least the next twenty four hours.
He ordered a new hard drive, to arrive poste haste today.
He came home from work last night and sniggered at the empty space on the coffee table.
He took out his new mobile phone.
"Did you know I can surf the internet on this?" he asked, unnecessarily.
"You won't be able to when I have thrown it over the back fence into the woods," I said.

10 comments:

Mick's Page 2. said...

Hi Jenny .

Oh dear, I know exactly what you mean when ‘things’ go wrong, the stupid questions you keep getting asked.

In my early computing days it wasn’t my hard drive that packed up but most of the installed programs, lost for some unknown reason. Took ages to re install them to what they where - also some valuable financial programs went as well.

A valuable lesson learnt.

I now have four big external hard drives [LaCie’s] where everything gets back on - {Friday evenings spent downloading].

I don’t have a ‘Keith’ to help if anything goes wrong, only my 4-external drives. I think I may christen them Keith 1,2, 3 & 4.!!!!.

Regards.

Dale said...

Oh dear, Jenny. Any possiblility you might have backed up your files on an external drive? Perhaps some of the data is still recoverable, unlike Keith's phone were it hurled over the back fence.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Never mind, Jenny - at least now you can go out into the lovely sunshine and get some nice fresh air instead. Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise :-) Does that help.......?!!!

Jennytc said...

No, Craig, sorry, but it doesn't! I had to have counselling for my loss today. ;)
Dale, I have nearly all my documents backed up, fortunately so it's not too bad from that point of view.
Mick, I will tell Keith - he will be most impressed to have hard drives named after him. :)
Greg, thanks for your sympathy. I shall hold you up as a shining example to Keith. ;)

Michelle said...

Pooh, i hate it when things like that happen!
My phone surfs the net also, honestly Jenny, they really are brilliant! ;o)

Jennytc said...

The keys are too small, Michelle. I can't read the letters without my glasses!

gemmak said...

"You won't be able to when I have thrown it over the back fence into the woods," LOVE IT! ;o)

Jennytc said...

A woman can be pushed just tooooo far, Jane! ;)

Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...