"Well, there is only one piece of advice I can give you," said the wisest of wise men. "The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon."



('The Alchemist' Paulo Coelho)




Monday, January 03, 2005

Whistling Sands

Today we set off, once again, for Whistling Sands, on the Lleyn Peninsular. Third time lucky - we actually got there this time and braved the cold and howling gales to fill our lungs with good fresh air! Keith had great fun 'off-roading' because he can, and playing with the camcorder. Playing it back, the sound effects sound like the soundtrack from Scott of the Antarctic - i.e. the aforementioned howling gales.
Whenever we travel over that way, we lose the signal for Radio 4 quite quickly so today, we listened to Radio Cymru. Yes I know I don't speak or understand Welsh and Keith is pretty rusty at it, as he never listened at school, but after today, I have picked up quite a bit of Welsh vocabulary:
DVD, CD, novel, film, trombone, cameraphone.
I think the secret is that you say it all with a Welsh accent! Dead easy! At this rate, I shall soon be speaking like a native. :)

1 comment:

broomhilda said...

Sounds like you had some fun. Being an American and having trouble with my own language at times, I am hopeless with others. This does not help with my addiction to mythology. I just downloaded a copy of 'The Mabinogion' translated into english by Lady Charlotte Guest from the Project Gutenberg website. I cannot begin to pronounce the Welsh names or words in the stories. I end up making up my own pronunciation, I'm sure the stories lose some of their flavor, but I love them just the same.

Vicky

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails