"Well, there is only one piece of advice I can give you," said the wisest of wise men. "The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon."



('The Alchemist' Paulo Coelho)




Thursday, July 01, 2004

In-car music

Having had my ears assaulted today by so-called music emanating from a nearby car at the rate of unmentionable decibels, I wondered why it is only afficionados of 'heavy metal' or similar who feel the need to pollute the airwaves like this.
Why is it that we never hear strains of Beethoven's ninth streaming down the local highways??? Maybe I should start a new trend..........!

2 comments:

  1. I dream of hearing heavy metal pounding from a car - mostly all you hear is fast dance sounds and whatever it is that involves swearing and shouting about how you are going to do some ho' over in a drive-by.

    I have heard opera played from a car at high decibels, and have probably done a bit of Beethoven myself. But it was Yes today (Tales From Topographic Oceans) and Mike Oldfield yesterday. Sorry. I didn't know you could hear me up in North Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lord! It may even have been me, sorry!! Am developing a taste for old punk music so that I can truly enjoy a night away with the Hubster on the 16th July. We are off to the "Guilfest", a night of Blondie, The Stranglers and most importantly, The Damned. We recently saw The Damned at The Point in Cardiff and I was truly in awe!!! What a talented bunch. We took Nicky, 12 and Sophie, then 8, with us, Goth'd to the max and Sophie especially has inherited her Daddy's love of punk (no stereotypes please, he's a detective constable with nearly 20 years service!). It was the week before Captain Sensible's 50th birthday and he was an absolute sweetheart after the gig, spent a lot of time with my kids, oohing and aahing over the birthday cards Sophie and Jasmine (6) had made for him.
    So, I think I owe it to the Captain to know as many lyrics as possible for next time, hence I am the apparent loony in the car in Asda's car park, still in my office blouse, skirt and sensible shoes, nearly 40, singing "Smash it up!" at top decibel...
    Am next appearing as an alto in the chorus of "My Fair Lady" in a local production. No, really.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails