Hope this doesn't include spiders!

I was still half asleep when I heard this little gem on the radio this morning, so I wasn't sure if I had actually heard it or had been dreaming.
Don't get me wrong. I am completely in agreement with any improvement on legal action that can be taken towards those so-called humans who mistreat animals - and there are some horrific accounts of cruelty. Where I feel I have to suspend belief is at the mention of what we in school call minibeasts. O.K. I have a friend who spent last year in New Zealand travelling around and working in return for board and lodging. One of his many jobs was that of digging and he made supreme efforts to avoid plunging his spade into any worms in the vacinity - an action which I find highly commendable; after all, worms are essential to any healthy patch of soil.
But,will this legislation mean that when I had all guns (sorry, nozzles) blazing at the greenfly on my rosebush in an attempt to annihilate them and save the roses that I could have been falling foul of the law???
And what about that spider which I bravely dispatched to the next life, having found it dangling on my shower curtain. (AND I did it without screaming!)Or the ones that I have, in the past, attacked with hairspray, stamped on, hoovered up?
That is where the RSPCA and I must part company. Caerpillars, slugs, snails, worms - I can go along with protection of these to a greater or lesser degree, but SPIDERS???
No, sorry, if it means a few nights in the clink, so be it - If there is a spider within loudhailing distance of me, one of us has got to go.......and it ain't gonna be me!!!

1 comment:

gemmak said...

I am sooooo with you on this one. I would kill nothing, with the exception of SPIDERS......... eeekkkkkkk!!!!

Plaster board and dust

So, we're still no further forward on the British Gas smart meter front and I've given up making non-existent appointments with them...